A yummy soup recipe for a chilly day.. Which we’ve been having ALOT of in Durban!
Butternut, Carrot and Chicken Soup 💛
Method and Ingredients:
- Half one Butternut and 2 carrots, chopped and boil in salted water till super soft. Reserve water, cool and puree till smooth.
- Finely chop 1 onion and sautee with ghee on low heat.
- Cube 2 chicken fillets into small pieces, add your own amounts of garlic, aromat, lemon juice, white pepper, green chillies (I added two) and parsley. Cook till done.
- Add the puree of butternut and carrot, bring to a simmer.
- In half a litre of water, sift 2-3 tbsps of Knorrs Thick Vegetable Soup, Cream of Chicken and White Onion Soup packet. Then add to the butternut and chicken and bring to a boil. Add more water while its boiling if it’s too thick, boil for about 15/20 mins.
- I then proceeded to add a tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon to make the sweet butternut flavor more intense and also to compliment the spicyness of the chicken.
- Before serving add 1/2 bottle of fresh cream and stir for a few minutes.
- Taste for salt, pepper and chilli taste, adjust accordingly.
Serve with soup with croutons!
- Take three slices of bread and cut into cubes. I used Low Gi wholewheat bread as a healthier option!
- In a small pan melt 5 tablespoons of butter with some salt, pepper, Dry parsley and a pinch of crushed garlic. Wait for butter to melt and start a small boil.
- Place bread cubes in a bowl and once butter has melted in the pan pour over the bread, make sure it is fully coated and then spread on a baking tray and bake in a pre heated oven for about 25 mins on 180 degrees until crispy, crunchy and golden.
PS: Butternut soup recipe was sent in by Fathima Akoo, I tried it out and added a few extra things like fresh cream, green chillies, cinnamon powder and brown sugar to suit my tastebuds!